Further to our recent notifications, Openreach and other carriers have announced changes to their practices in relation to COVID-19. Due to the unprecedented circumstances this remains a fast-moving situation and Openreach and other suppliers policies and processes may continue to change in the forthcoming days, weeks and months.
What Provision and Repair changes will Openreach (and other suppliers) be Making?
Openreach have advised that with immediate effect, and until further notice, they are closing non-critical contact channels for the following products:
- Wholesale Line Rental (WLR) / Analogue Lines
- Broadband Services including ADSL, Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and G.Fast
- Fibre Leased Lines
- Migration Services
In addition, we are seeing reduced capabilities to other services including Number Porting and we expect further disruption to continue over the coming weeks and we will continue to keep you updated.
What impacts will this have from a Provisioning Perspective?
Provisioning work will be limited to the following:
- Activities where no Engineering visit to end-customer premises is required (e.g. Self-Install, some forms of migration activities)
- Service to vulnerable end customers (in-home and carried out safely, only where essential)
- Those end customers who have no other form of broadband or telephony available – Elite will work with our suppliers to agree a course of action that does not require a premise visit
- On-premises work for critical national infrastructure customers (NHS, pharmacies, utilities, emergency services, retail and wholesale food distribution outlets, financial services businesses and other categories defined by the Government)
What Impacts will this have from a Repair and Support Perspective?
Repair work will continue to be focused on restoring service with safe working practices, and with revised processes to further reduce social interaction wherever possible.
What other changes will be happening?
Openreach have advised that with immediate effect:
- Appointment books for new appointed provision orders are being moved out to June 2020. However, this may be reviewed due to the current circumstances.
- Openreach will attempt to complete appointed inflight orders outside of the premises.
- Non-appointed orders will continue to go ahead where no visit is required to go to the premises (transfers, upgrades to Fibre to the Cabinet).
- Repair books will remain open at this time. However, non-urgent repair processes are under review.
- Engineers will be asked NOT to enter the premises and to enable/restore service where possible from outside of the premises.
Due to the effects of extensive Government restrictions across the UK, Openreach have announced that they will be declaring a MBORC (Matters Beyond Our Reasonable Control) for provision, repair, missed appointments and the availability of appointments on a national basis. This will affect all the services highlighted above.
We will continue work with our industry colleagues and suppliers to mitigate the impacts and restrictions and where possible, we will provide our customers with the services they need to keep their businesses running.
More information will be shared as we receive further updates and we will continue engagement with our suppliers and you to ensure you have the latest information.
If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact your Account or Service Manager.